Friday, January 20, 2012

Sleepiness, Reefs, and Get Togethers

Now that I'm in second term, I have all of my classes at 8am. Usually 8a-12p and then labs in the afternoon. And I have to say, I'm really not a fan! I rather liked being able to be a zombie during labs last semester and then alert and able to focus in lectures in the afternoon. I find now that I am good for the first and last class of the morning, but classes 2 and 3 are a real struggle, particularly #2 (maybe because it's anatomy??). I don't like it! I don't like being so groggy and dozing off. I've tried making sure I get enough sleep the night before, eating breakfast, bringing something else to distract me a little bit and help keep me awake, nothing's working! Caffeine makes me a bit nervous and I don't drink coffee. Unfortunately, with 14 more weeks of class left (and 2 weeks of exams), I am going to have to find something that works or else this is going to drive me crazy!

We went swimming again today. This time we went from the shoreline out to some islands rather than off the cliffs. Needless to say, it went much better this time. The cliffs just make me really nervous. They're large, steep, rough, dangerous...but the swimming part is awesome. However, I am definitely looking to avoid the panicking situation again!

Anyhow, there are lots of coral rocks around the little islands and there is lots of sea life hanging around. Tons of different fish, urchins, snails, and the occasional unique find. The water is still pretty rough, so we had to be careful about the rocks and shallow spots, but not nearly as bad as the other day which was just exhausting. A few scrapes, a bruise, and some scratched hands, but it's always totally worth it! I love exploring it all! I'm not sure what's up with the camera unfortunately, so for now it will be hanging out on my desk sadly. One of my friends has her own underwater camera though, so hopefully I can steal some of her pictures for here!

Lastly, we had a SCAVMA get together tonight at the black sand beach. It happens once a semester as a little social for new students to get to know each other and other upper termers as well as for the upper termers to socialize. Food and fun times. Two things I enjoy! We all hung out for a few hours before calling it quits for things such as studying and partying for some.

No comments:

Post a Comment