Monday, January 30, 2012

Laundry Fun and a Physiology Exam

I think it's time for a little update on laundry in Grenada, now that I live in a new dorm. I actually literally live in a new dorm, it just opened in August haha-but that wasn't the point.

Anyhow, if you'll remember for a moment the rules from last semester: open from 5p Friday to 8am Monday morning, and then randomly during the week from 5p-8a in our dorm until the end of the semester when security got wise and started just cutting the power to all of the laundry rooms rather than just locking the laundry room doors.

Yes, being constrained to doing laundry on only a couple days can be annoying, but it's mostly just because you then have to compete with others for facilities and not so much the time inconvenience. When we were initially limited to weekends, I discovered very quickly that the WORST day to try and wash anything was Sunday. Invariably, everyone else in the building had also waited until the last day and then there was major competition involved and a lot of laundry stalking. This is why I vowed never to do laundry on Sundays. Too much of hassle! That and I'm usually around on a Friday or Saturday night to do it when everyone else is out (not that I don't occasionally go out, I'm just not gone all night).

Okay, so that leads us to this semester. I've done laundry twice now. The first was on a Thursday evening when the room was open, and the second time was yesterday. A Sunday. Oops. Yes, it was indeed a gigantic pain. I don't remember my exact reasons for putting it off-something about being forgetful, lazy, and our laundry room door being locked (see too lazy to call security and have them unlock it). So by the time yesterday afternoon rolled around, the ENTIRE building seemed to have an urgent need for clean clothes. Wonderful. Vet school roomie and I at least decided to save ourselves a little bit by combining loads, but I essentially had to go to "laundry war" to get my clothes clean and dry. It doesn't help that our "fancy" machines take FOREVER to wash and dry a load. More buttons does not equal better.

Being at "laundry war" essentially means you have to be strategic. Out smart the enemy. Be tricky. Occasionally be slightly rude. This equates to using laundry rooms on other floors, tossing peoples completed clothes out of machines (nicely!), and even moving between floors to complete a load (i.e. wash on one floor, steal a dryer on another). Yes, that's how my laundry got done yesterday. I'm not terribly proud of the tactics used, but I do now have clean clothing.

The moral of the story is don't do laundry on Sundays. EVER. Lesson reinforced and remembered!!!

Today we had our first exam of the semester in physiology. Despite being at 8am, it wasn't too bad. In fact, we even got a question given back to us leading me to get an A! I was very pleased! Sadly, I've heard this is the easiest test and the rest get substantially worse, but I'll take my small victories when I can. Immediately after this exam, we had a 50 minute lecture on the penis of the horse. It was a long 50 minutes.

Next up is an anatomy exam on Friday. I really don't know what to expect, so again, I am just going to do the best I can and try not to worry too much. After all, it's only anatomy. What veterinarian could ever possibly need anatomy?? : D

No comments:

Post a Comment