Saturday, October 8, 2011

Beach Adventure

I made it to the beach today! Finally spent a little time in the sun :) I ended up just going to the little beach on campus because I didn't have a lot of time before my clinic shift, but it was totally worth it! Unlike a normal public beach, this is just a little cove with about 6 feet of sand before the water so it isn't really the place to go if you want to sunbathe. I happen to not be a sunbathe kind of girl so it is PERFECT for me.

I've walked along the shoreline a couple of times and found little treasures each time. Today was no exception! Plenty of sea glass and a few fun shells on the shore line, a lot of conch shells under the water, some fish, sea sponges, and best of all, a HERMIT CRAB!!!!!

Best discovery ever! I noticed this beautiful pink.orange shell sitting on one of the rock ledges and take a few pictures of it. I also figured it would be a lovely addition to the little collection I have going. When I picked it up, I felt something move inside and out pops a hermit crab! I was quite delighted! I love hermit crabs :)

This crab proceeded to become part of a long photo shoot session. He was a pretty good sport haha. It would probably be more accurate to say that I held him as my prisoner for almost 30 minutes, but I let him go at the end of it and he scampered away into the grasses. I really hope I see him or a buddy again soon!!

My other fun discovery was that there are many multicolored sea sponges (dead) floating around near the sea grass beds. They were of many shapes and colors and looked really neat floating along the bottom. I pulled a few pieces out and took some pictures. Purple, blue, red, yellow, and red-orange. I definitely plan on going back soon to see what else I can find! I absolutely love living on a tropical island!

No comments:

Post a Comment