Sunday, October 9, 2011

Owwww

Went to Grand Anse beach today for several hours! I had such a good time :) I saw many fun fishies, a true crab, more sea urchins and found a hermit crab! I am still working on species identification for the fish but when I get some of them right, I'll post them! I am in particular trying to figure out what this awesome boxy brown fish with blue spots and fins that looked like wings when spread is. They were so cool!!

I found myself another hermit crab today but this time my friend was an ocean hermit crab. He was pretty terrified of me and my friends and refused to ever come more than part way out of his shell. He was really cute though!

The oww from the title comes from my extremely sunburned back. It is so hot, sore, and red-oops! Amusingly, it's the only spot that is burned. I'm pretty sure the rest of me is destined to be pasty white for the rest of my life. Oh well, at least that should in theory mean no skin cancer? I'm okay with no cancer in my life.

The rest of my day has been extremely lazy. I am enjoying my no school work weekend. I am disappointed that it all ends tomorrow with the return of classes. Oh well, only two more months of vet school torture haha. I love Grenada and all of its beauty!

Update: figured out a few of my new friends!:
Flying fish-I saw 3 of these amazing fish swimming together, probably the coolest fish I have ever seen!

Goatfish: these are pretty abundant down here

Needlefish: I think this is what I saw, also pretty cool!
Flat Needlefish - Ablennes hians - St Kitts
Sea urchins:
Long-Spined Urchin - Diadema antillarum West Indian Sea Egg - Tripneustes ventricosus
I desperately need an underwater camera so I can take pictures of my amazing finds!

No comments:

Post a Comment