Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Miss Naps

My usual weekday schedule is anatomy lab from 9a-12p, nap from 12p-12:40p, and class from 1p-4p or 5p depending on the day. That little nap is a crucial part of my day and is how I get by on 5-7 hours of sleep a night and make it through lecture in the afternoon.

Unfortunately, we had two optional lunchtime lectures this week. And yes, while they are completely optional, I believe in making the most out of every opportunity. We did at least get free Subway lunch (no, not eating the veggies, I just peel them off :-p) both days.

The first lecture was on a new Hill's pet food diet (y/d) aimed at hyperthyroid cats. The company hasn't really released any information about the food yet though, so it ended up being more about hyperthyroidism in cats than about a food designed to potentially help. I really enjoyed the lecture because I learned a lot about hyperthyroidism and knew a thing or two!

Today's lecture was from a Bayer representative giving us information about their flea and tick products. I again learned a lot from the lecture and am very much looking forward to taking parasitology in a couple years!I actually know very little about the common parasites that plague companion animals because most of my veterinary experience is in emergency medicine. I really enjoyed learning about one of the products I have heard about before (there are quite a few out there!).

This ties back to my naps because having lunchtime lectures means I don't get that refreshing break. Thus, I am sleepy at the end of the day and throughout the evening, lectures seem to last FOREVER, and not getting enough sleep at night definitely stares me down. I am really looking forward to my lunch break tomorrow, or rather, my nap break! The goal of both days was to learn and I definitely did a bunch of that :).

***Not endorsing any products! Please, please, please do your research and talk to your veterinarian before switching your pet's diet or trying a new medication. Such changes can cause SERIOUS health problems that can even result in death! Let's keep Fido and Fluffy out of the ER :) ***

No comments:

Post a Comment