Thursday, October 27, 2011

A Post About Classes


I don't think I've really talked about my actual classes much lately other than to complain about exams or how much they annoy and stress me out from time to time haha.

Today I had 5 classes (but animal nutrition went for 2 hours so it was technically 6). We started the day off with radiology lab. It only took more than half the semester, but we are finally actually learning relevant material that is interesting (the history and how it works was interesting for about the first 10 minutes, but 3 hours was a bit much-particularly when he told us he wasn't really going to test us on it). Today's lab covered the thorax (chest). We get an online presentation in our computer lab and go through and identify various structures in radiographs (x-ray images) and a CT series. I actually learned something today! I know most of the basics from spending so much time in hospitals and with boarded radiologists, but occasionally I do learn something new!

Next up was Introduction to Research. I tend to call it "class where I study for other things because attendance is mandatory but paying attention isn't." We've had a few more interesting speakers lately, but a lot of the time they make you want to fall back asleep. Attendance is 20% of our grade though, so skipping isn't really an option. Today's lecturer was a researcher who studies all things fish. He had a bunch of rather gruesome pictures in his presentation, but I was busy studying for my histology exam which is Monday, so I'm not really sure what the presentation was really about. To be fair, most of my classmates either nap or study too though haha.

After lunch was histology. We finished off covering the material that is on our upcoming exam and answered some questions. This exam covers the whole digestive tract, the urinary system, male and female reproductive organs, and those four topics in terms of avians (silly birds having to be all different from everyone else). 

Our current topic in nutrition is equine nutrition. We had out last two equine lectures this afternoon covering feeding horses of all ages. It has been a really interesting unit and I have learned A LOT about horses. I can't believe that I know how to appropriately create an equine diet now. Next up is an exam and then we will start small animal nutrition. 

The last class of the day was Animal Welfare and Behavior. Even though we're in week two, I'm really not sure what to think of this class yet. We have a different professor each week-one who lives here and two from UC Davis. I have learned a bunch of little random facts so far. Today's was what type of cat breed I want to own someday based on this professor's research study that asked veterinarians to rate the breeds based on a variety of categories. I'll post them when we get the notes packet for the class because I don't remember them all off the top of my head. Anyhow, I would like a ragdoll cat. They sound like a cat that is basically a dog haha.   

No comments:

Post a Comment