Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Halloween is not really a Grenadian holiday. Or at all. The only reason the word is mentioned on this island is because there is a university here and most of the students come from a culture that celebrates Halloween and therefore continue the tradition down here.

Walking around Grenada, you would never know it was October. For one, it is still 85 degrees out every day :). But Grenada also lacks the iconic Halloween decorations that I am used to seeing during this month. Although you buy chunks of cut pumpkin at the grocery store to eat, the only signs that Halloween was coming soon was a few more bags of candy on the shelves of an end of aisle rack, 4 large and un-Halloween pumpkins in the produce section, and Halloween cupcake tins in the baking section. I have yet to find an image online of what these pumpkins resembled, but they were large and highly unattractive, sort of like the white one:
I'm sure that so far it sounds like I don't really care for Halloween, but I actually enjoy it quite a lot. I just happen to prefer the cute kids version with pretty pumpkins, innocent fun, and the candy (duh!). Trust me, my classmates made sure to enjoy Halloween weekend! I'm actually quite impressed with the costumes they made with such limited resources (because not only are there no party shops with costumes, there are very few with clothing, props, or any other creativity items). I refused to cave and buy any candy because although it is name brand and delicious (in the US), I know that here it is absurdly over priced, melted, and likely stale. I will make up for my lack of treats now in December : D.

So Happy Halloween! Just not in Grenada haha. But they've already begun preping for Christmas over the last few weeks (cut them a break though, Thanksgiving was last week and isn't a big holiday here, there are no holidays in November, so the next big thing for this extremely religious island is Christmas). 

No comments:

Post a Comment