Friday, October 14, 2011

How Many Vet Students Does It Take To Light Birthday Candles?

I wasn't going to post about my birthday, but I think all of the events over the last three days merit some recognition. Wednesday was my birthday. I am not one to make a big fuss over it, I'm not hugely into being the center of attention. Therefore I won't go out of my way to say it's my birthday or to celebrate with people. I did want to celebrate with myself by making cupcakes and eating delicious chocolate. :) That being said, I certainly am not put off by other people trying to make a big deal out of it. It is really quite flattering and enjoyable.

On Wednesday, I had anatomy lab like usual. Nothing more than ordinary about 3 hours of lab, but many of my classmates personally wished me a happy birthday which was nice, and then one classmate made an announcement to the class and everyone sang. That is definitely a first. I'm sure my face was bright red at the end of it! I ate a delicious lunch and dinner that day, and enjoyed cupcakes with a few of my friends. A nice, relaxed and quiet birthday.

My footsteps buddy treated me to lunch today which was delicious and fun. We had Subway on campus (I know, it's amusing that our little campus and island has Subway) which was super tasty. I really like the Parmesan oregano turkey sandwich. I really want to try something else, but I love this sandwich so much that every time I go, I end up picking the same thing because I know I will enjoy it so much haha.  

My friends also wanted to go out for dinner tonight to celebrate so we went to Dodgy Dock to eat. I really like it there. The atmosphere is relaxing and serene since it is an open restaurant on the water and the decor is really pretty and tropical. The food is also delicious. Tonight was mexican night, so I had a chicken quesadilla to go with the theme. (A side note for those who know me-in addition to having chicken and cheese in my quesadilla, it had salsa and I ate it! Wow right?!) After we had dinner (which takes forever in Grenada), we had cake. Not one cake, but two! I had both a chocolate and vanilla cake! They had the whole restaurant AND the live band sing to me (embarrassment round two!) and then it took us a good 10 minutes to light the candles! As it turns out, an open airy dock is not the most ideal place to light candles with a lighter. Or maybe we are really just that special. Hard to say. The candles refused to light and stay lit. They were pretty much the exact opposite of trick candles if I have to compare. Trick candles probably don't exist in Grenada though.

We did eventually get both cakes lit, but not before we had MANY good laughs and burned a couple of fingers. It's definitely an event we won't soon forget! The cakes were delicious! One friend got hers from the local IGA grocery store. This is the 4th IGA cake I've had now and I have to say, I am VERY impressed with the quality of their cakes. They have all been moist and tasty and not what you might expect from a grocery store cake. I have even had a different type each time! They are good at double chocolate, vanilla, carrot, and oreo cake. My other friend baked her chocolate cake in a toaster oven. She decided to make a pyramid cake so each layer of the layers was stacked high! I must say, for something that came from homemade pans and a toaster oven, it was pretty impressive!

So all in all, a good birthday. One very different from how I imagined! Birthdays for me are usually mostly just a family event. This serves as a good reminder that down here on the island, these 78 students that I am in class with every day really are my family here. Even when we fight and have our differences, we really do care about each other and have each other's backs. Thank you everyone!

My many delicious cakes!:

No comments:

Post a Comment