Monday, October 10, 2011

Definition: Island

A piece of land surrounded by water on all sides. Some days I feel more like the island than a person living on an island. Despite my best efforts, I often find myself feeling lonely here. I'm not homesick or anything, just kind of lonely. I try to tell myself that it's because I wasn't expecting to be down here alone and that if I had been then I would be fine, but I really doubt that that would be the case.
One of my closest friends was supposed to be my classmate and roommate for the next 4 years but life had other plans for her unfortunately. That means I'm riding this term out without her (luckily she gets to join me in January!). I think I did a lot better when my university had 30,000 people instead of 5,000 people. Gave me a little bit more of a chance to fit in with someone!

It's not like I want to find the normal things people like boring (like drinking, partying, gossiping, hanging out doing nothing), I just do. And to make it worse, it seems that if you don't like those things here AND do well on exams, you're simply out of luck. It seems that the people I originally made friends with have dropped me for other people struggling in classes. Awesome.

Just have to remind myself that I'm here simply for the degree and that everything else is extra. At the end of the 4 years, a DVM degree is what I need to walk away with (otherwise the cost of school is absurd!). Yesterday marked 2 months on the island and today marks 2 months until I fly back to the US for a month! A really cold month haha.

And since this was kind of a "down" post, who wouldn't find the end of the day in Grenada on the water relaxing and beautiful?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment